21 February 2014

Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff

Last night, Drew requested one of his favorite meals:  beef stroganoff.  I make this dish a lot in the winter, but it's so good that it works for balmy Houston-February days, too!  It's not gluten- or dairy-free (and obviously not vegetarian), but if you aren't under dietary constraints, and you like beef and mushrooms, give it a try!

I realize that I've blogged this recipe before, but it's so yummy that I thought it deserved a re-share. ;) Also, don't judge the fact that I'm reusing the pictures from the 2011 post!

I should warn y'all, though.  This dish is not one of my kids' favorites.  They love the sauce, the mushrooms, and the rice, they just aren't too keen on the beef.  (I know, what kids like mushrooms?!)  Anyway, maybe it'll be a hit in your house!



Cut your meat into chunks and dump it in the crock pot.
I'm lazy and like to use the pre-cut stewing meat!


Mix flour, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper in a small bowl.


Dump it over the meat in the crock pot.


Now here's the fun part:  coating the meat in the flour mixture!  
I just use my fingers to toss everything, but feel free to use some sort of utensil. ;)


Next, combine onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, and some water in a bowl.  


Pour it over the beef and add the mushrooms, stirring to combine.


Set your crockpot timer (or kitchen timer) for 3.5 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.  
Then sit back, relax, and wait!  
(I always cook it on high because I usually make it during nap time.)


About 15 minutes before the stroganoff is done, add the sour cream.  
It'll turn into this creamy beefy color.  Yum!  
(I always like to sample it a little here, too... just to make sure it turned out!)


Serve it over rice and sprinkle with fresh parsley (which I forgot).
Our favorite side is roasted asparagus or roasted broccoli, but we've also done a salad!


(You can also serve it over egg noodles or quinoa -- we've tried it all!)


Beef Stroganoff Recipe
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 3/4 pounds boneless beef steak (or stew meat)
10 3/4 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup water
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 package of mushrooms, washed
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley (optional) 
1.  Combine flour, garlic powder, pepper, and paprika in a small bowl.
2.  Cut meat into strips (or use stew meat).  Place in slow cooker and toss in flour mixture.
3.  Combine mushroom soup, water, and onion soup mix in a small bowl.  Stir until well blended.  Pour over meat.
4.  Add mushrooms and toss until mixed.
5.  Cover and cook on High 3-3.5 hours or Low 6-7 hours.
6.  Stir in sour cream and parsley.  Cook on high 10-15 minutes.
7.  Serve over rice, egg noodles, or quinoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment